Davis’ first construction project was the fabrication and installation of sun-dried adobe tiles formed on hand-made wood frames at age five, under the instruction of his German inventor father, a high school science teacher who enjoyed experimenting with indigenous materials. Those original tiles are still intact in the family home in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
His fascination with residential design and construction led him to pursue a degree in Architecture and Industrial Design at the University of Sao Paulo in 1986. Following graduation, Davis went on to practice architecture in Europe. In Geneva, he was part of a team developing the Domaine de la Louviere, an aging-in-place residence for 60 seniors. In London, he worked at the Hospital Design Partnership Ltd., designing patient rooms interiors for the UK National Health System. Back in Brazil, Davis had a two-year stint as resident architect for Instituto Kanyo, a German Spa/Health Clinic nested in the Mata Atlantica Mountains surrounding Sao Paulo.
But his restless spirit kept him moving. In 1992 Davis visited Washington, DC for his first time, falling in love with the city. He decided to move here to practice residential architecture in partnership with another Brazilian architect, while designing and building furniture prototypes as a weekend hobby. This work ultimately led Davis to begin his own company, focusing on bath & spa design and renovation, incorporating his never-ending passion for tile and industrial design. In this capacity, Davis won local, regional and national prizes for outstanding bathroom design and tile work.
Davis and his team, together since 1995, have been designing and building innovative residential baths and spas in the Washington DC area, and are widely recognized for their creative design, stellar service and impeccable workmanship.
- Since 2005 has served on the National Tile Contractors Association’s (NTCA) Board of Directors, as well as Regional Director and District of Columbia Ambassador to this date
- Received NTCA’s prestigious Best Practices Award in 2008
- Voting member of the ASTM Ceramic Tile Committee since 2005 and the ASTM Dimensional Stone Committee since 2015
- Frequent public speaker in venues including the National Building Museum, the Tile Talk radio program, Coverings, and tile trade shows
- Featured in the Architectural Digest, Home & Design Magazine, HGTV Pro, Spaces Magazines, Washington Post, and major tile trade publications
- Tile consultant for the University of Maryland Decathlon competition from 2005 to 2007
- Six-time award winner, Best of Washington DC in Bath / Spa Design, by the US Commerce Association, 2008-2013
In a special arrangement with the National Tile Contractors Association, Davis is an authorized presenter of NTCA Professional Education Programs. These programs are approved by AIA, ASID, IIDA, IDC and other IDCEC organizations, providing 1 CEU each. Learn more about these programs here.
Request A Public Engagement
Davis is an engaging speaker about universal design principles applied to bathroom design, and other tile and bath subjects of interest for designers, builders and the trade. Below is an example of how an event like this in your own venue can be fun and informative: